Re: [OM] Snappy Lens Definition Please

Subject: Re: [OM] Snappy Lens Definition Please
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 18:46:43 +0200
Hallo Mike
On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 08:15:50AM -0500, mikew wrote:
> Fast forward now.  I acquired one of the > 1,000,000 serial number f1.4's in
> an eBay auction.  It stops down quickly (at least subjectively) but in
> opening back up, the diaphragm blades seem to glide back into open position.
> This takes some noticeable time (but well less than a second).  I came
> across a 50mm f1.2 Zuiko (graded E) on KEH's site late last week, ordered
> it, and received it yesterday.  Same diaphragm action as with the f1.4.
>
> In checking for a sticky diaphragm, I've always used the DOF preview button.
> My older Zuiko lenses stop down and open back up very abruptly.  The action
> is audible.  I hear nothing when I push and release the DOF button on the
> other two lenses.  Opening back up takes several times as long as the
> stopping down action.  I don't see any oil within the lens.  Has lens
> technology moved forward and this is the way modern lenses should act?

The first Lens I noticed this behavour is teh 2.0/40 I bougth two month`s  ago.
The diaphragm also takes some time to open, but only at aperture set 2.8-5.6.

It seems that the spring tension to reopen the aperture is a tad weak.
Or the diaphragm-blades are a bit sticky and have to be cleaned someday - o.k
This lens will be worth the extra monney. Or it is just because the lens hasn`t
been
used for a long long time? -Who knows??

I never noticed any influence to Photograpy. I shoot a test serie of a mid-grey
subject
at all appertures in manual mode, and all slides were exposed the same, even
with the
fastest shutter-speed.
So I think it is not a real problem- but I´m not too sure. I´d also like to
hear more opinion`s

Glad to hear that I`m not the only one with such a lens.

Frieder Faig