RE: [OM] OT: Flinders Ranges (was how's the weather)

Subject: RE: [OM] OT: Flinders Ranges (was how's the weather)
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 20:50:50 +0200
G'day Wayne (and others)

you wrote:

>I'm heading up to the Flinders ranges in a week or so, not expecting too
>much heat in June/July.  Got any good tips for photographic subjects in the
>area ?

Don't know if you do care of any more kangaroo shots, but on my visit last
August I photographed quite a few different ones, they're pretty abundant even
around the campsite in Wilpena Pound. Emus are common, birdlife in the Pound is
prolific and the stretch of road between Hawker and Quorn was one of the best
raptor areas I've ever encountered. Even if birds may not be your passion,
there's a lot of things in the landscape to interpret with an OM (obligatory
content!).
One area you shouldn't miss and probably can't/won't is a woodland of river red
gums in a small valley on the walk from the campsite into the Pound itself. I
burned some Fuji Velvia here one morning with my OM-4 and 65-200 (more
content!), those trees are sooo magnificent!. Some months later, National
Geographics "Australia" arrived on my doorstep (photographer Sam Abell),  in it
is an image of the very same trees. I was pretty amazezd as I had taken the
almost exact approach. Same site, almost same image (maybe same trees!).
Anyway, don't miss it,  there's an almost magical spell here, occasionally a
grey kangaroo may enter the scene (or wild goats, lots of them, unfortunately!).

I'm sure you'll find a lot to photograph in Flinders Ranges, I guess one could
spend a lifetime here (as one of the rangers had, he still hadn't seen it all).
Though we regretted that we didn't have a 4WD at this time, further north from
the Wilpenda Pound the real Flinders start, but you gotta have a 4WD or a
scruffy ordinary car you don't care very much for, IOW NOT the brand new one
from Hertz...

Hope this was of use,
Cheers,
Ulf Westerberg