Re: [OM] Lightining

Subject: Re: [OM] Lightining
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:45:58 -0700
There is a company selling a "lightining trigger" for cameras.  Best as
I've been able to ascertain, it is a couple flash-slave sensors tied to an
amplification circuit which then completes a circuit closure...

The lightining trigger is designed to trigger the camera's shutter upon the
flash of lightining.  They recommend a shutter speed of around 1/2 second
with appropriate lens opening for the scene.

It seems to me that this approach would be much too slow to be of any use, unless there are multiple strikes. I don't have the numbers handy, but I seem to recall lightning is a millisecond phenomena, whereas it will take a horizontal cloth shutter 18 mS just to open. Or do I remember wrong?

--
: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>