Re: [OM] Stiff lens mount?

Subject: Re: [OM] Stiff lens mount?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:28:42 PDT
Alasdair Mackintosh writes:
The lens mount on my OM-1 seems fairly stiff. When you mount or unmount a lens, it feels as though you are turning against some resistance, as if two metal surfaces are rubbing together.<

John Hermanson may be able to offer more definitive advice than mine.

Someone on the list recently wrote of a screw head not being properly countersunk, interfering with proper mating of lens and body. That's worth checking with a fingertip or, perhaps, a cotton swab to detect snags.

I don't know whether any OMs are vulnerable to this, but the Canon T70 and T50 bodies have an occasional problem with the metal lens mount ring loosening from the plastic body. My guess is this is due to differing thermal expansion rates. Naturally, this would interfere with secure lens mounting, especially if the ring were retightened on top of debris that had lodged between the ring and body.

If you decide to investigate the tightness of the screws securing the mounting rings on either lens or body, please block the lens element or mirror box opening with your hand. Better to jab one's hand if the screwdriver slips than to scratch an element, mirror or perforate the shutter curtain. Skin heals better than inanimate objects.

When I bought my OM-1, which came with Fat Viv (a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5 varifocal which I've dubbed Fat Viv because it takes too long to write Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5 varifocal), mounting and unmounting was a bit stiff. I noticed a thin film of what appeared to be oxidation on both halves of the lens mount. I carefully cleaned off the film using a cotton swab slightly dampened with naptha and it's smooth as silk now.

A tiny speck of Flitz polish (the least abrasive metal polish I'm aware of) may help also. Naturally, all residue should be thoroughly wiped off after polishing. But Flitz should be safe enough when applied with care - I've used it to remove oxidation from guns and it doesn't harm the bluing when used sparingly and carefully.

Lex
Standard Disclaimer: I'm a photographer, painter, writer, deleriously happy grandpa and (idiot+savant)-(the savant part), not a qualified anything else. Take all advice with a dose of salts. (Original phrase: laxative, not the salt in the shaker. Translation: advisor may be full of sh*t and trying to pass some along to you.)