Re: [OM] Cool photo spots--Iowa edition

Subject: Re: [OM] Cool photo spots--Iowa edition
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:13:58 -0500 (CDT)
On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 03:48:44 -0500, Ken Norton wrote:

>  It can be depressing for someone like me who grew up in
>a really cool area to be surrounded by millions of acres of agriculture.

???

Since when is agriculture not cool? When I go to the city, I get
depressed because I grew up in a cool area (a farm) and there I am
surrounded by people and buildings. But I manage.

In all seriousness, unless you live in an unlighted cave (and even
then, there's always flash photography), there are things there to
photograph, see, and do that are unmatched anywhere else. I would
think you'd be more alert to those things than the locals, being as
you're a city boy by birth. Things your neighbors take for granted or
don't even notice could provide you with tremendous material, as
could the things they know and you don't (like the various crop
stages, local pests, local weeds, different varieties, tillage
practices, farm equipment, etc).

As an example, I shot 2 rolls of Tri-X yesterday afternoon on am old
abandoned house and the weeds that have grown up around it. Day
before that I shot a half roll of EIR on an interesting stump. This
spring, I had a field day shooting closeups of cotton emerging in the
no-till fields, and I'm now waiting on my neighbor to finish his
snake levees so I can shoot some great IR shots of his rice crop.
Corn and wheat also offer some great opportunities to play with
perspective and depth of field. Last year, I won a photo competition
with a closeup of an irrigation pipe, and took 1st place in another
category with a shot of some roadside wildflowers.

Wherever you go is a photoshoot if you have the time and the film.

BBB

-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel
bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx