[OM] Indianapolis Canal Walk

Subject: [OM] Indianapolis Canal Walk
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:33:32 -0700
John:  The links you posted on the OM list (cute doggie!) somehow led me
to your Indianapolis Canal Walk.  Imagine my surprise when my speakers
began to play a *very* nice synthesized arrangement of what sounded like
turn-of-the-century British band music.  By Gustav Holst or Ralph
Vaughan Williams, perhaps?

I used to play bassoon.   Though I'm more of an orchestral person,
occasionally I got drafted into playing in a band.  I was never too fond
of band music, especially because as a bassoonist, you tend to get
blasted over by the trombones, and no one hears you, anyway.  But the
Holst and Vaughan Williams pieces were always a pleasure to play.  Nice
counterpoint, and you can really hear the heritage of Handel in there,
along with "hip, hip, Glory to the Empire," and all that.

Thanks for a nice memory, as well as some nice photos!

--Peter