[OM] Re: Zinc batteries

Subject: [OM] Re: Zinc batteries
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:32:25 -0500
At 03:01 PM 6/16/2000 -0400, Scott N. wrote:
>The Olympus Guy (http://www.olympusguy.com/NewLArt8.htm Paul Van Tuyl, no
>association, etc.) will sell you a ($5) nylon bushing that sizes up 675
Zinc Air
>batteries to fit correctly.

Hi Scott,

I'm kind of curious as to the signs when one of these batteries needs
replacement. My understanding is that one of the characteristics of the Hg
cell is extremely even voltage up to nearly sudden failure, which is
terrific for a cell powering a light meter.  I would be concerned with a
non Hg cell (or true equivalent like MR9 + SR44/357) of botched readings
during some period when the battery is actually in its death throes.  This
is not to mention that 1.4 is not the correct voltage for the OM-1 in the
first place.  Comments?

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA