Re: [OM] Cool photo spots--Iowa edition

Subject: Re: [OM] Cool photo spots--Iowa edition
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:34:00 -0500

At 04:13 PM 6/16/2000 -0500, Barry B. wrote:
>???
>
>Since when is agriculture not cool? When I go to the city, I get
>depressed because I grew up in a cool area (a farm) and there I am
>surrounded by people and buildings. But I manage.

<snip>

Ken, Barry:

I love the lines of Iowa fields:

http://members.tripod.com/jdubikins/g4/corn.htm
http://members.tripod.com/jdubikins/g4/soybeans.htm

There is very little land in Iowa that is wild. Prairie has its interest,
but I can't imagine finding Iowa more interesting as pristine prairie than
a lot of it is now. This is heresy for a pointy-headed environmentalist
like me, and the use of chemical fertilizers in Iowa is responsible for
fish kills as far away as the Gulf of Mexico.  But God help me, that's how
I feel.  Not many places where one feels that men living with the land as
they do improves both.

BTW Ken, I graduated from HS in Ames, so I DO remember the University
there, and the Ledges near Boone.  I walked the trails with any number of
girls and enjoyed it with each and every one. :)  There's a beautiful
overlook, so forested you cannot discern the river flowing through its
valley except by inference. We should meet there with our families one day
this coming fall.  And (OM content-->) shoot some Zuiko.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA