Re: [OM] 135/2.8 and the Jessops saga.

Subject: Re: [OM] 135/2.8 and the Jessops saga.
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 10:03:34 +0100
Dave wrote:

>The moral of this story, is of course don't buy from Jessops second hand if
>you can bear it.  It doesn't look as though they do anything other than
>glance at bodies coming in on trade ins etc.  Their trade in prices are grim
>to say the least ( they offered me £45 for an Zuiko 35/2...Ace cameras in
>Bath gave me £100...) and so I'm beginning to suspect that people only take
>their knackered bodies there.

I suspect you were unlucky, unless perhaps Glasweigan Oly owners are harder
on their OM4s than elsewhere. Trade prices most places are grim. Ace might
give you twice as much for a 35 f2, but they'll also ask almost twice as
much. They are my "top whack" guide price for Olympus gear, the max price a
lens in exc-to-mint condition is likely to go for. I'm sure they're
reputable, but they certainly are expensive. I suspect that OM4s, which must
be 15+ years old, are likely to have a number of such faults. If they have
been serviced and looked after the owner would be less likely to part with
them. I'd suggest you get a sweet-sounding OM1n or OM2n and a handheld
lightmeter, but I'm likely to get flamed to oblivion on this  ;-)

Simon E.

PS apologies again for my post to the list sent from work. What a load of
junk! I'll be having a chat with the PC lads on Monday.