iS-3(000) discontinued? [was: Re: [OM] Dings, Doinks and Dents]

Subject: iS-3(000) discontinued? [was: Re: [OM] Dings, Doinks and Dents]
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 14:04:27 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 4:08 PM
Subject: Re: [OM] Dings, Doinks and Dents

>   Anyhow, much as I like mom's iS-2, the iS-3 has the focal range I want.

How about a 28-140 focal range instead of the 35-180? Then we wouldn't need the
unwieldy wide adapter any more. Of course we wouldn't get more than about 240
mm out
of the 1.7X B-300 converter, but that's a small price to pay don't you think?

> BTW, I keep hearing assertions from local dealers that the iS-3 has already
> been discontinued.

FWIW - We've been hearing this ever since 1996 when iS-2(000) was discontinued.
As
long as there's life there's hope...

< I hope Olympus is planning to replace it with an iS-4
> and not just assume everyone will be happy with the iS-30.

If iS-3(000) really is to be discontinued it probably mean the death of the
line of iS cameras.   :-(((

What are the chances that iS-30(0) will be developed into some kind of
replacement
with "advanced" features like aperture/shutter speed value shown in the
viewfinder,
manual (power) focus, continouos drive and multi-spot AF? Don't forget that the
simple line iS's have developed gradually from being merely a P & S type of
camera
[iS-10(0)] to something of a hybrid, incorporating features like long time mode
[iS-10(0)S] and exposure compensation [iS-30(0)] along the way. Is there a
limit to
what's possible with this line of cameras?

Per Nordenberg
Zoo keeper at Kolmården
http://www.kolmarden.com/

------
It is better to live one day as a lion than a thousand as a lamb.
                                              -Unknown
------