Re: [OM] Cool photo spots--Iowa edition

Subject: Re: [OM] Cool photo spots--Iowa edition
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 13:40:59 -0500
At 10:36 PM 6/16/2000 -0400, Gregg I. wrote:
>When we lived in Wyoming, a friend of ours left for Kansas or Iowa ( is
>there much geographical difference)

Iowa and Kansas are both predominantly agricultural. Is that what you mean
by not "much geographical difference"? ;-)  One difference is that the
state flower of Kansas is the sunflower, which was declared a noxious weed
in Iowa (that was so they could spray Round Up or worse things on them).
Kansas retaliated and declared the Wild Rose (Iowa's state flower) a
noxious weed. It didn't matter because they don't have any Wild Roses there
(another geographical difference I reckon).  In the meantime, spraying
Round Up on the sunflowers in Iowa just about eliminated the Wild Rose as
well.  I'm not sure which state legislature is dumber, but Iowa's caused
more real damage.

Western Kansas is of course high plains (3000+ feet above SL), quite
different from parts east.  The eastern part has similarities to Iowa, but
more with Missouri, to which it is adjacent. Iowa has some flatlands, but
it is mostly an undulation of low hills which require proper contouring to
prevent erosion under cultivation.  This often gives fields a patchwork
appearance, sort of like a ruffled quilt on a bed.

I'm sorry Ken misses Michigan trees, but he doubtless thinks of "pines" as
real trees. People grow pine trees on Christmas tree farms in Iowa.  Real
trees are maples, oaks, and walnuts -- proper deciduous trees -- of which
there are a relative abundance in Iowa, though mainly on waterways.  When
you come to feel that an evergreen just looks out of place, you've made it
to the dark side. ;-)

(Just kidding, Ken. Your brand of tarnation fits in real well around here.)

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA