Re: [OM] Contest Grand Prize

Subject: Re: [OM] Contest Grand Prize
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 19:44:12 +0000
At 22:29 6/17/00 , Dirk Wright wrote:

>Bravo! Nice pic!
>
>I *still* don't understand desert right next to lakes. I've seen this
>before, and I can't figure out why there aren't some water-loving plants
>like willows growing at the water's edge, or even cattails in the shallow
>part of the water. weird.

Yes, very nicely done . . . and my other half had nudged me into a few
great ones in the past too!

Dirk,
No willows, cattails, etc?  That's because it's a man-made reservoir, not a
natural lake, of which there aren't any to speak of in the southern half of
Arizona.  Lakes Pleasant, Saguaro, Apache, Canyon and Roosevelt are all
reservoirs.  The latter four are a chain of them (and I listed them from
roughly south to north).

The northern half, especially in the White Mountains has some beautiful
mountain lakes with excellent rainbow trout fishing.

In the higher desert you can follow creek beds, streams and washes by
looking for the brush and trees.  I remember finding cottonwood in
particular around water.

-- John