[OM] I did it!!

Subject: [OM] I did it!!
From: "Dirk and Carla Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 21:56:56 -0500
I finally received my spanner wrenches from Micro-Tools, so I could now take
off the top cover from my OM's to deal with the rotted foam around the
pentaprism. I'm gald to say that the procedure was a success! I'm not sure
how critical this foam was for making the camera light-tight, so I only
removed it without replacing it with anything. It appears to me that as long
as there is a shoe mounted on the camera, that the foam around that area is
not required. The foam at the front of the pentaprism may be more important,
I don't know. If my film comes back all fogged or the exposures were way off
due to light leaks around the sensor, then I'll have to start thinking about
doing this really right. I was just glad to get that stuff out of there
before it damaged the mirror coating on the pentaprism. Only my OM-2n had
the foam around the shoe, not my OM-1. I was impressed with the quality of
the circuit boards inside these cameras. They both had what appeared to be
glass-epoxy boards with gold plated sliding contacts.

So, I'm feeling all right now that I conquered the "crazed hamster" problem
in my winder 1 and the "foam of death" in my OM-2.

I also fiddled with my first lens. I took the mount off of an ancient Sigma
18mm/f2.8 lens to try and determine why the diaphram hangs sometimes. I
didn't get too far, since I got confused about putting it back together, and
took far too long to just put the mount back on the lens in the correct
position with the diaphram coupling connected properly and the stop-down
button functioning correctly.

Life is a learning experience.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright