[OM] M-1 in Tokyo

Subject: [OM] M-1 in Tokyo
From: Sean Chan <Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 12:02:27 +0900
Hello all,

I've seen a 2nd M-1 in my life now :-). There's one available in
MapCamera, Shinjuku, Tokyo. It's going Yen 59000 (US$556). Yes,
I was thinking to myself "So cheap??". So I had the saleschap take
it out to have a look. Externally, I can't see anything wrong - no
dings, etc. The hotshoe was missing and the film door did appear to
open larger than normal (at least more than my OM-4Ti, I haven't
taken out my OM-1 to compare.

Anyhow, when I looked through the viewfinder, there was gunk there :-(.
I think it's fungus of some sort - as it actually has some sort of
cell structure. It was also "curved" which leads me to think that it's
not formed on the pentaprism, mirror, focussing screen, etc. It must
be in the lens construction of the viewfinder itself. Making a guess
that we have Olympus Service here in Tokyo, the previous owner must
have tried cleaning it before - thus whatever is there, is probably
there to stay.

I know many you remember my regrets not buying the previous M-1 I
saw in Perth (US$680) that later went onto eBay for US$950-$1000??
However this one definitely looks as though it can't be cleaned and
it hasn't got a Zuiko M-System 50mm F1.8 with it.

Sean
--
Sean Chan         Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx       http://www.msdw.co.jp
EI/UNIX IT Dept.  +81 3 5424-4318 (W)        +81 3 5424-4399 (F)