Re: [OM] camera windowpod/support

Subject: Re: [OM] camera windowpod/support
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 14:31:44 +0100
Siddiq wrote:

Is there a "windowpod" type thing that
1)accepts user's choise of head and
2) stury enough to mount a 3030 head (bogen) onto?
  ... mounted on a window ... stable
enough to do longish (few seconds, night city scape) shoots where the
tripod would be too conspicuous ...

I like this idea. It reminds me of driving around country lanes and farm
buildings when it was raining too hard to get out of the car. I wound the
window down just enough to take pictures through the gap with my 35RC and
the results were okay - the low viewpoint made them look as though they were
taken with a TLR!

There used to be a camera mount that fitted to the car's windscreen with
adjustable suckers for filming while driving but I haven't seen it
advertised for years. I recently saw a device that clamped the top edge of a
side window with a camera mount on top but I had visions of it snapping off
a piece of the window. It may be a good idea to look into what's available
for video cameras (camcorder accessories). Alternatively, you could
experiment with a tripod standing inside the car on two legs but held
against the side of the car door with bungee cords, or just by leaning
against it to press it against the door.

For night photography you'd have to park where no huge truck is going to
rock the car as it whooshes by, plus you'd have to refrain from any activity
that rocks the car on its springs during long, boring exposures - or wait
quietly until some kind souls come along and jack it up for you onto bricks!

Regards,
Keith Berry
(Birmingham, England)
k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx