Re: [OM] Neverready grip

Subject: Re: [OM] Neverready grip
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 20:54:25 PDT
The main problem with leather is that it attracts moisture (worse in high humidity, not so bad in dry climates or A/C'd house). Even without harsh tanning residues the moisture is enough to promote rust in guns and growth of fungus and other unwanted critters that plague cameras.

Lex

----Original Message Follows----

I've always felt happier about keeping cameras in their e.r.cs while stored in cupboards or drawers for protection, but was stricken with doubt recently when finding an assortment of foreign coins that had been left in a leather purse for some months. They were all heavily encrusted with some kind of green algae or verdigris that took some cleaning off. I hope I'm right in thinking that the tanning process of leather for camera cases is different from that for wallets.

Regards,
Keith