Re: [OM] Listee equipment sales and prices (Long & OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Listee equipment sales and prices (Long & OT)
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:20:03 EDT
In a message dated 06/19/2000 10:00:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
david_bulger@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Zuiks,
>
>  Sheesh!  This selling equipment to the list is getting a bit difficult!
>
>  <RANT>
>
>  I've received 17 replies to my list of equipment for sale on Saturday,
>  mostly regarding the 24/2.8.  One of the replies informed me that it was
>  good that I offered stuff to the list first because it was "list policy" to
>  do so.  Three of the replies started off by telling me that since I had
>  gotten a good deal on this package, they expected very low pricing on
>  anything they purchased.  One reply told me that I was being "selfish and
>  greedy" (direct quote) for asking what I have for some of the items.  In
>  this case, the 24/2.8.
>
>  Granted, had I posted prices initially, I probably would never have heard
>  from these folks.  That mistake won't happen again.

I agree. You should be able to price your gear wherever you wish. If it's too
high, then I presume no one will offer your price. If even one person offers
your asking price, then you priced it right, IMO.

I also think it's a good idea to post an asking price when the item is
initially offered. It avoids confusion and bidding wars.

>  First, for the newer listees, there is NO list policy regarding selling
>  equipment to the list before hitting eBay or other sales mediums.  If you
>  want to see a piece of equipment used by someone you know will really
>  appreciate it, offer it to the list.  If you want maximum $ for something,
>  hit eBay or some other venue.  But don't feel obligated to sell to the list
>  because you belong to it -- it's your equipment and your money, and it's
>  disposition is solely at your discretion.  Further, list policies are
common
>  sense and primarily deal with how to get along with others.

I think the confusion stems from the occasional "for auction" posting we see
hear. There is an unofficial "policy" (really more of an agreement, I think)
that if you tell the list about something you just put up on eBay, you should
have offered it for sale here first. If you put it straight to eBay, then
don't chew up bandwidth telling us about it.

>  Second, for my personal sales, if you don't like the price, don't buy it.
>  But don't offer unsolicited negative opinions as to my sales practices or
>  prices.  If you don't think you're getting a good deal, go elsewhere.  It's
>  not going to hurt my feelings in the slightest. Until this weekend, the
>  sales I offered to the list consisted of items I had upgraded or decided I
>  didn't use.  The were priced accordingly, and to my knowledge, everyone has
>  been completely happy with their purchases, and some have told me that I
>  charged too little for what they received.
>
>  I'd appreciate feedback from the saner members of the list on this -- the
>  price for the aforementioned 24/2.8 is $170.  This includes a lens that's
>  perfect in every way I know how to check, the OM shade, the OM case, front
&
>  rear OM caps, beat up UV filter, shipping in the US, and a two week
>  no-questions-asked return policy.  The price itself is $1 more than Skip
>  William's eBay average price for this lens (thanks Skip!).  The listee
>  bonuses include a) a superb-condition lens accurately described and with
all
>  accessories, some of which are a bit hard to find, b) purchase from someone
>  they "know" as well as can be expected through the internet, c) a two week
>  return period without questions, and d) free shipping (not much, but every
>  little bit...).  While you could possibly get this same deal through eBay,
>  you'd wait a while for it, I imagine.

IMO, that's a very fair price for that lens. I'd jump at it, but I already
have a 24/2 :-)