[OM] Covered Bridges: Competing Theories

Subject: [OM] Covered Bridges: Competing Theories
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:48:25 -0700
 > > Just an aside, what is the reason for putting a roof on a bridge ?

 The best reason for a roof is to protect the deck and structure of the
 bridge -- it will last longer.

Roofs and sides are placed on wooden bridges only, at least here in the
northeast US.  Mainly to shed snow and ice in winter.  The heavy, wet
stuff would otherwise crush them--as early settlers found out.

That doesn't explain the many covered bridges in Western Oregon, where it doesn't snow!

I'd guess they either did it here out of 1) nostalgia, for the bridges back home, or 2) to keep the moss from growing on them, which makes them slippery.

The covered bridges are maintained for the benefit of tourism, mostly.

There are still a number of "working" covered bridges in the Willamette Valley; many are well off the beaten tourist track.

My guess is the cost of replacing them is simply much more than the cost of maintenance.

--
: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>