RE: [OM] Covered Bridges: Competing Theories

Subject: RE: [OM] Covered Bridges: Competing Theories
From: "Timpe, Jim" <Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:24:43 -0700
I'd like to know who propagated the myth that it doesn't snow in western
Oregon.  It may not snow as frequently or as much in inches as the
northeastern states, but when it does, it tends to be pretty deep, pretty
wet, soggy, and therefore HEAVY.  The covered bridges in the Willamette
Valley are covered for precisely the same reason that they're covered in the
northeastern US.  And true, they're now maintained for tourism reasons more
than anything else.