RE: [OM] Covered Bridges: Competing Theories / Lens question

Subject: RE: [OM] Covered Bridges: Competing Theories / Lens question
From: "Welliver, H William" <hwellive@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:05:46 -0400
Yet another theory:

In the days when horse drawn wagons were common, bridges were designed with
covered sides in order to prevent horses from being frightened by the water over
which the bridge was built. I suspect the reality of it all is that it was not
just one, but a combination of these reasons for their existance.

As a side note, if you find yourself interested in covered bridges, you should
definitely look into visiting central Pennsylvania; Columbia and Montour
counties specifically. These two counties claim to have one of the highest
concentration of covered bridges in the U.S, many of them are in regular
service.  It's such a big thing that PennDOT recently spent several million
dollars to refurbish an older one. Additionally, the only set of "twin covered
bridges" are also located in this area as well. It's a pretty neat feeling to
drive over one, honking the horn when you enter in order to let cars coming in
the opposite direction know you're already "in" the bridge. Almost a trip back
in time :)

Now for some OM related content: When I got my OM a few years ago, it came with
a Tokina EL 28/2.8 wide angle lens. Can anyone comment on the quality of this
lens or its results? I have an opportunity to pick up a Zuiko of the same
length, and was wondering what I might gain by doing so...

Thanks in advance!

Bill

        That doesn't explain the many covered bridges in Western Oregon,
        where it doesn't snow!

        I'd guess they either did it here out of 1) nostalgia, for the
        bridges back home, or 2) to keep the moss from growing on them, which
        makes them slippery.

        >The covered bridges are maintained for the benefit of tourism, mostly.

        There are still a number of "working" covered bridges in the
        Willamette Valley; many are well off the beaten tourist track.

        My guess is the cost of replacing them is simply much more than the
        cost of maintenance.