[OM] Tokina 500mm f8 lens

Subject: [OM] Tokina 500mm f8 lens
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:54:17 -0400
I just recently got an OM mount Tokina RMC 500mm f8 mirror reflex lens from

http://www.keh.com

for $149US. It was listed as EX, though I can't find anything that would
keep it from being listed as Mint-. It came with a case and 3 rear mount
35.5mm screw-in filters in their own case inside the bigger case. It also
has a screw-on/off sunshade that reverses for storage. Currently they have
listed the same exact lens, but supposedly in even better shape, (though I
can't image how it could be, since mine looks brand new), for $165US.
Oddly, mine came with UV and 2 ND filters, but no polarizer, which I'd have
thought to be more useful for B&W work.

So far I've done very limited shooting with mine and can only say that yes
it does have quite noticeable and only somewhat annoying donut shaped
bokeh, and no it really isn't for hand held shooting for anything
meaningful. It's the lightest weight and certainly lowest cost way to get
into this focal length.

I mention all this just because this lens has recently been mentioned here.
Apparently, they're not all that tough to find, and I'd certainly recommend
them for occasional use. I'm not yet sure just exactly what the resolution
is as I've not yet done any 8x10's with this one. My early bird shots with
it weren't particularly encouraging, but that was a combination of bad
light, unsupported shooting and just generally non-conclusive methology.
More when I test mine further, but at the price, I'm happy even if it isn't
eye-popping.

Mike Swaim