[OM] Camera Storage (E.R.C Cases, and corrosion)

Subject: [OM] Camera Storage (E.R.C Cases, and corrosion)
From: "David Low" <ghb04@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:28:53 +0100
I read this thread with some amusement..

Years ago, when I attempted to leave school early, my parents decided to get
me a summer job which would persuade me to return to full time study.. They
did, as a trainee forensic photographer with the Metropolitan Police..
(Photographing dead bodies after 3 weeks in the Thames, and post
mortems..all under photofloods, or the old PF60 flashbulbs if you remember
those)..

Anyway the photographer I was assigned too urged me never ever keep
photographic lenses, or bodies in leather cases, as they breathe and sweat
allowing chemical laden moisture into equipment.. I have always adhered to
this, and use a compartment case or bag instead. I wonder though if modern
plastic, or imitation leather, cases would cause corrosion or Fungus type
infestations.

I have a couple of old cameras (Miranda SLR's) which I keep stored in ziploc
bags with silica gell. These have been stored for 7 yrs and when I last
looked where fine.

Oh as to whether I stuck with the job?????...........nope went back to full
time study at the end of summer, a very nasty suspicious death in Epping
Forest (which has just been re-opened), changed my mind.......Kept up with
the photography though....

David Low