Re: [OM] OM-2000 (was Prefire Technical mod on OM4(T))

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2000 (was Prefire Technical mod on OM4(T))
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:20:50 PDT
I'm seeing more reports of problems with the Cosina body that is the foundation for the OM-2000, Nikon FM-10 and FE-10, and those marketed by Vivitar and others. I've even seen one report of immediate shutter failure on the Voigtlander Bessa L, also a Cosina-built body. The Canon T60, also a Cosina in disguise, was reportedly prone to light leaks due to a too-flexible film door, a problem reportedly fixed in more recent models.

This is unfortunate because the chassis itself appears quite solid, as reported and shown by Pop Photo a year or so ago. But apparently it's compromised by inferior components and/or workmanship. I noticed similar problems in the Minolta XD5, a lightweight but solidly built, mostly metal chassis, hampered by some relatively delicate moving parts.

I hope Olympus, Nikon, et al, will get together with Cosina to address these problems because they seem workable, even if it adds a few bucks to the price. Meanwhile, I'll stick with the old warhorses like the OM-1, Canon FTbn, Minolta SRT-101, etc. Heck, I've never owned a Nikon other than a P&S but I was seriously tempted today by a lovely Nikormat, $180. Must've been that shutter speed dial around the lens mount ... where have I seen that design before ...?

Lex

----Original Message Follows----
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

...how are the OM2000's holding up in actual usage? It does seem like a better deal than an OM1 which needs CLA...

Eric Pederson