Re: [OM] Camera Storage (E.R.C Cases, and corrosion)

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera Storage (E.R.C Cases, and corrosion)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 15:08:09 PDT
David,

As a Navy hospital corpsman and transplant technician, and later an occupational safety investigator, I've seen my share of dead bodies. Fortunately, all were fresh. I'm not sure even my rather strong constitution could stand up to a daily battering by exposure to the mangled and murdered. God bless the police and forensics investigators for the jobs they do.

I doubt the typical vinyl, naugahyde (think of all those poor defenseless naugas slaughtered for our easy chairs) or other synthetic storage coverings would cause any problems. There *are* certain containers using PVC (polyvinylchloride) that emit stuff that can adhere to glass and be difficult to remove. I discovered this problem with some otherwise mint condition Vivitar filters stored in their original soft padded PVC bags. Took quite a bit of careful cleaning to get the smudgy goo off.

I've never seen that problem with ordinary ziplock kitchen bags in long term storage, so I'm sure your Miranda is safe. My first SLR was a Miranda Sensorex, a seductive creature. Wish I'd kept her. What's yours?

Lex

----Original Message Follows----
From: "David Low" <ghb04@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Years ago, when I attempted to leave school early, my parents decided to get me a summer job which would persuade me to return to full time study.. They did, as a trainee forensic photographer with the Metropolitan Police..

[snip-jump to...]

I have a couple of old cameras (Miranda SLR's) which I keep stored in ziploc bags with silica gell. These have been stored for 7 yrs and when I last looked where fine.

David Low