Re: [OM] Non-Olympus teleobjectives (availability, adapters, etc)?

Subject: Re: [OM] Non-Olympus teleobjectives (availability, adapters, etc)?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 15:17:01 PDT
Samu,

To my knowledge Tokina has never used adaptors - their lenses have all been built for specific cameras. Not all Tamrons use the Adaptall system. Some were built for specific lens mounts.

Reportedly, the only compromise involved with interchangeable mounts is not of optical quality, but of actual focal lengths. The mounts must vary somewhat for different mounts, so a nominal 80-200mm zoom may actually be a 70-190mm zoom on one camera, or a 65-180mm on another. Not a serious compromise in exchange for the ability to be able to switch a single lens between different brands of SLRs.

Lex

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Samu Mielonen" <ex@xxxxxxx>

I'm looking for used teleobjectives (perhaps even zooms) in the 80-200mm range. I've now located one possible Tamron 80-200mm, but I'm at loss whether this will fit my OM-4Ti.

Did they manufacture these lenses (Tokina/Tamron 80-200mm) with different mounts or did they use some sort of adapters?

Also, what are the drawbacks to using adapters (say adaptall adapters)? Weight? Image quality? Length? etc?

Samu