Re: [OM] Will Oly's new optical image stabilisation system in C-2100UZ

Subject: Re: [OM] Will Oly's new optical image stabilisation system in C-2100UZ be utilized in other cameras?
From: Sean Chan <Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 08:39:32 +0900
Hi Per,

> They also say that to reduce camera shake the 10x zoom lens is assisted by an
> optical image stabilisation unit. The next sentence is somewhat unclear to me:
>
> --
> "We already reported about such a development from Canon (see report of 25th
> May 2000); one may
> suspect Olympus from using this product in its new camera."
> --
>
> What do they mean? Is Oly's new IS system borrowed from Canon? I know that
> Canon use this in some of
> their lenses, but do they have a patent license on this system as well? And
> above all, will this be
> utilized to improve other Oly cameras, and if so which?? Myself I'm thinking
> of an iS-4000 with
> image stabilisation...  mmm...
>
> Per Nordenberg
> Zoo keeper at Kolmården
> http://www.kolmarden.com/

Actually, this isn't so unbelievable. As we know, Canon has already IS
in
quite a few of their lenses, Nikon now has 1 lens that's image
stabilised
too (but they call it "VR" for Vibration Reduction) in their new
80-400mm
F4.5-5.6 VR http://www.techphoto.org/webobject.epl?webobjectoid=1744047.

Thus if Nikon's got it, I won't be surprised if other brands start to
have
it too. Whether it's a license agreement from Canon, or if it's a
completely
new design - I dunno.

Do note though that camcorders have had IS for quite sometime I believe.

Sean
--
Sean Chan         Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx       http://www.msdw.co.jp
EI/UNIX IT Dept.  +81 3 5424-4318 (W)        +81 3 5424-4399 (F)