Re: [OM] Re: (N)Eveready cases

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: (N)Eveready cases
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:34:34 +0000
You're not alone.  I keep each body with 50mm lens cased in one of the
original OM-1/2 leather cases and very often stash the nose piece in the
bag when the body is out and in use.  The case bottom stays on unless it's
to change film or mount it to a tripod.  It's one more layer of protection
for the bodies and 50mm lenses (50/1.2 and 50/1.4) since I use Tamrac's
Super Light bags that have thinner padding than most of the others.
Ditching the case nose in the bag gets it out of the way running vertical.
Other than the 35/2, 50/1.2 or 50/1.4 the nose won't fit over the rest of
the lenses (including the 24/2 which is longer than any of the 50's).  I
know they Oly makes (made?) longer case noses, but it just hasn't seemed
practical to start changing those around.  The case, especially the bottom
piece, has taken minor blows which would have dinged the body.

OTOH I'm not often in an environment doing shooting that requires extreme
readiness, and use of the winder is rare unless it's on tripod.  I might
also have a different feeling about it if the cases were the imitation
leather ones which quickly wear through the finish to a white cotton-like
stuff underneath.

Seems like users either love 'em or hate 'em without much ambivalence
inbetween.  If you love 'em, the original real leather cases, semi-hard,
hard, black, light brown or dark brown, are all well made and wear
exceptionally well.  They're among the best 35mm SLR cases I've seen and
that's after dumpster-diving through quite a few cases in the "used case
bin" looking for the leather OM cases.

-- John