RE: [OM] Covered Bridges: Competing Theories

Subject: RE: [OM] Covered Bridges: Competing Theories
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:34:10 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Jan Steinman wrote:

> I might have slipped a decimal here or there, but I'd also be
> surprised if the bridge weight limit didn't have a hefty contingency
> factor. I also tried to err conservatively in the other assumptions.

I think perhaps you did, because before that you wrote:

<10 tonnes>
> That's 10 million grams, or 10 million cubic centimeters of water.
> The weight density of snow varies all over the place, but let's call
> it 1/10th that of water to keep the numbers round -- 100 million
> cubic centimeters of snow, or 1,000 cubic meters.

100 million cc = 100 cubic meters (there are one million of them to a
cubic meter, which is why 1 cubic meter of water weighs exactly a
tonne).

<100 m^2 bridge area>
> So a big nor'easter blows in and dumps 10 meters of snow on the
> bridge, and it fails! This has gotta happen, what, every ice age or
> so? Heck, let's even assume that it's especially dense snow -- as
> dense as water, in fact -- and get rid of our factor-of-ten fudge for
> snow. You'd still have to flood that bridge with an entire meter of
> water for it to fail!

It would only have to be 1m of snow or 10cm of water, which might
conceivably happen, esp if the bridge had sides.

However, I suspect that you're right about the main reason for covering
being to protect against rot, though.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |