Re: [OM] OM-2S

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:46:33 -0700 (PDT)
Martin wrote:
Hi...I'm new to the "list", but from what I've seen you people are very
=
helpful and informative...I've recently acquired the OM-2S and I
believe =
I have a metering problem...On the Program and Auto modes from 1/30
down =
the shutter remains open until I hold it up to a brighter light source
=
then it closes...  (snip)
Martin,

Firstly, welcome to the "list".

Secondly, congratulations on your impeccable taste in getting an OM-2SP
:-)

Thirdly, I don't think you've got a metering problem. The behaviour of
your camera is typical of an OM-2S in low light with no film. The
indicated shutter speed in the viewfinder is a prediction of what the
actual speed will be during the exposure, based on the relection of
light from the a shutter curtain patterned to have approximately the
same reflectivity as an typical film surface. However, if you fire the
shutter in either auto or program mode, with no film loaded and in low
light (indicated shutter speed below 1/125 sec), you're forcing the
camera to measure light reflected from the black plate in the camera
back. The photocell during the 'exposure' actually sees much less light
than predicted because this black plate (even though it has a shiny
surface) reflects much less light than a film. The net effect is a
considerably longer exposure than was indicated. As you have observed,
if you then turn the camera toward a bright light source, that may
satisfy the photocell that enough light has entered the camera so that
it triggers the closure of the shutter. Bottom line, if you want to
study the performance of your camera in auto or program mode in low
light, you must have something in the film plane (e.g. a length of
undeveloped film or some 18 0rey paper).

I hope that's a bit clearer than mud!

Regards,

Ray