Re: [OM] OT: Vuescan 6.0 Beta 17 -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Vuescan 6.0 Beta 17 -Reply
From: Scott Nelson <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 12:50:31 -0400
Yeah, I recently got a UMAX Astra 2200. It's native 600x600 dpi SCSI2/USB with a
built in 4"x5" transparency lid. It cost a wopping $130 after rebate. I'm
currently using it to scan old heirloom negs from a Brownie box camera, which
obviously won't go through my Nikon Coolscan. The negs are in poor condition,
not surprisingly, but Photoshop restoration is producing 3"x3" duotones that my
wife says are better than the original prints she remembers seeing as a child.
The bundled scanning software ("Vistascan"), however, is replete with
suckiocity.

<<In that case, you might consider a flatbed with a transparency
adaptor. Some of them are pretty cheap, and have the added
versatility of scanning large reflective art, as well as negs and
trannies.>>