[OM] Metering with a polarizing filter...

Subject: [OM] Metering with a polarizing filter...
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 01:41:57 +0200 (CEST)
Hiya all,

I have a selection of circular polarizers, which I have been happily using
on my Zuikos (nice with zuikos: 49 & 55 mm does almost all) with the
various Olympi cameras.

No problems whatsoever - the ttl metering has always worked fine.....

Now, however, I have (as some may remember) bought a hand-held meter -
which I have started to use a bit for various "difficult" motives (and for
getting experience using said meter). Until now I have not been using the
pol-filters when using the hand-held meter, but that is only a matter of
time (praticing using the flash-meter part is next, in which case it will
become handy with pol-filters).

I have noticed that when using the pol-filter, the TTL meter in the OM's
indicate 1-2 stops lower than without the filter. This makes sense, since
the pol-filter is intended to reduce the amount of light according to the
lights polarization. However applying that information directly to the
meter readings done with the hand-held meter somehow doesn't seem right to
me. I'd imagine e.g. that the ratio of the reflected light going through
to the film depends quite a lot on the polarization of said light & the
position  of the filter, and that no general rule can be applied regarding
the reading on a hand-held meter when using filters.....

However I am sure that the collective knowledge and reasoning of the
list-members may contain some valueable input on this. So what are the
general experiences when using a hand-held meter + (various) filters (for
now, mainly pol-filters)?

Thanks in advance.

--thomas