Fwd: [OM] What to reccomend: beginners camera?

Subject: Fwd: [OM] What to reccomend: beginners camera?
From: BriarPipes@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:09:12 EDT
In a message dated 6/21/00 8:27:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< A young member of the extended family recently asked me if I could teach
 him a bit about making "good pictures" - including everything from the
 camera to the darkroom - and at the same time assist him in finding a good
 beginners camera. >>

Thomas:

Here's my two pence:  I think that an OM1 or OM2 would be close to ideal for
that young kinsman of yours.  Firstly, there are still plenty of them
available on the market, at reasonable prices.  Secondly, there certainly
aren't "wonderbricks," in that they focus, set exposure, advance and rewind
film, and program your VCR through an infrared port.  Thirdly, they are
rather bulletproof.

I wish I had started out on an early OM, when I was still wet behind the
ears.  I predate the OM series by a couple of decades.  I started out with an
inherited Argus A-Four rangefinder, sans instruction book or light meter.  My
confidence in picture-taking eventually evolved when, as a 12-year-old, my
family-vacation photos were demonstrably better than those taken by my
parents with their Instamatic.  Learning the simple f-stop/shutter speed
principle was a good grounding for my later magazine work.

Best of luck,
James Lawson