Re: [OM] intro and question

Subject: Re: [OM] intro and question
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:41:28 -0500
Being the opinionated guy I am, I'll give my thoughts on some, not all.

35 Shift - I can't explain the physics or do a comparison to other lenses, I
just know it's really cool (highly technical opinion).  I used mine recently
to photograph a building from far below it (it was on the top of a hill).
Just sliding the shift while looking through the viewfinder is amazing.  I
think you'd be happy with it.

Lens kits - wow, you'll probably get hundreds of responses, but based on
your SIZE criteria, then you want the slower lenses.

I have a 21/2, and have not seen the 21/3.5, but I love the focal length.
They're both pricey, but what a great lens.

For the middle range, the 35/2.8 is small, but if you truly want small, then
the 40/2 is the smallest of the OM lenses. They're hard to find and
expensive, but boy are they small.

For a tele, the 100/2 is very highly regarded, as is the 90/2 macro, but by
OM standards they are large and heavy.  That said, I would consider the 85/2
or the 100/2.8  They both small and light, in fact, about the same size.  I
find uses for both, but use the 85 more often, both because of the focal
length and the speed.

So, a kit with a 21, 40, 85 would be nice, but perhaps leave you a little
short.  I'd either add something a little longer (the 135/3.5 and the 200/5
are both very small) or add a zoom.

I rearrange kits quite often, so I can't claim a single favorite, although
I've recently started carrying the 90/2 a lot. I can shoot macros shots of
flowers and then the next shot at infinity.  Quite a lens.

My thoughts...

Tom

> Greetings all!  i'm new to the list, and new to this camera brand we've
all chosen to shoot.
> Just recently purchased a chrome OM-1n with the 50/1.8 and 135/3.5.  The
body is in fabulous shape, and lenses are OK.

> i purchased this camera to have a smaller, less expensive, and more
totable alternative to my AF equip.  And compact it is!  You should SEE how
tiny the OM1 looks when sitting next to my Minolta Maxxum 9.  I guess only
an F4 or F5 would be more humorous.. (BTW, Minolta standardized on 55mm
rings for most lenses, w/ 49mm for a few.  that works well, don't it?)

> At any rate, a couple newbie questions:
> * the shutter speed ring on the body  -- should it turn somewhat freely,
or is there usually strong resistance?  this one seems to move a bit stiff,
but then i dont know how it should be when new.

> * regards the shift lenses -- i've seen it written that the effective
angle of view increases w/ the amount of shift. (The 35mm at max is ~28, &
the 24mm is 18mm).  Is this a property of all shift lenses?

> * Would the Zuiko 35mm rate highly among all shift lenses on the market?
(i'm trying to decide for which system to purchase a lens for architecture:
the Oly, a Nikon 28mm w/ adapter to Minolta, or the 50mm for Mamiya 645.
I'm leaning towards the Mamiya simply for the > neg size..)

> * lastly, at the risk of bringing up well-trodden turf on this list, what
are the listie's favouries for best lens while being *most* compact?  i'd
like to add a wideangle, a 35mm, and 'praps a 100mm to my kit.