RE: [OM] Covered Bridges: Competing Theories / Lens question

Subject: RE: [OM] Covered Bridges: Competing Theories / Lens question
From: "Welliver, H William" <hwellive@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 10:56:04 -0400
By twin bridges I mean that you have two physically separate covered bridges
that are connected almost end to end.

For more information:

http://www.columbiapa.org/coveredbridges/38191112.html

I've been to this particular set of bridges and it's rather interesting. I just
find covered bridges to be a fascinating reminder of days gone by. They have a
nice side effect of typically being surrounded by picturesque landscapes. Great
for exercising my OM!

Best regards,

Bill

        I'm wondering what you mean by "twin" bridges (side-by-side?).  There
are
        several in Indiana with triple spans, and a number of others with
doubles.
        The longest is a triple in Jackson County at 458 feet long (roughly 150
        meters).  If you're ever in Indiana, Parke County along the Wabash River
on
        the western edge of the state has 32 of them . . . over a third of the
93
        statewide . . . and our counties are small.  At one time (circa
1890-1920)
        there were an estimated 400-500 of them in the state.  The number began
        diminishing with the advent of iron truss bridges which is likely the
type
        of rickety thing Ken Norton drove over.  Those have a beauty of their
own,
        particularly (IMO) the arched truss type.  The transition to iron wasn't
        immediate, but began with wood reinforced by iron in key portions of the
        structure (iron plates and rods).  There are quite a few of the iron
ones
        around too.