Re: [OM] Metering with a polarizing filter...

Subject: Re: [OM] Metering with a polarizing filter...
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:13:59 +0200
On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 05:27:51PM +0100, Windrim, Brian wrote:
> Frieder wrote:
>
> >> An example, when you use a polarizer to darken the
> >> sky. A TTL-meter faultly indicates different exposure
> >> when rotated. - Guess this is what makes you ask this
> >> question.
> >> The problem is:
> >> The more you turn the filter to darken the sky the more
> >> the TTL-metering-System increases the exposure value to
> >> get a correct 180icture from the sky....Uups... :-(.
> >>
> >> (This is not always obvious, when there is a large Subject,
> >> which is not affeced by the filter, in the central-meassure
> >> area)
> >>
> >> This is one reason why I´m thinking to get a hand-held-meter,
> >> despite the fabulous OM-spot metering capabilities.
>
> What you say is true of averaged or centre-weighted TTL meters,
Yes, sure,  ....
The book was written when TTL-metering was new and only averaged.

> but manual spot metering with the OM2SP/3/4 does *not* tie you
> to 18 0rey.
>
> Instead you can spot-meter through the polariser and - by placing
> the spot reading on the bar-graph scale - determine *exactly* how
> a given patch of sky, whether white cloud or blue sky, is going
> to appear on film.
>
> (It is easier to do this with OM3 and 4 as the 2SP meter scale
> lacks a full range of "zone" markings.)

I see you`re very advanced with using spot-metering.
Funny, I really prefer the OM-2S for this way of photographing.
Because to get rid of the 18% you need full manual-settings.
And the shorter +/-2 EV-bar graph  comes close to the
slide-film capabilities. After adjusting the sky to wathever tonal value I
want,
I like to check how  other part`s of the subject apear.
This is easier with the permanent meassuring-bar of the OM-2S. -IMHO.

Frieder Faig