Re: [OM] Re: Strappage

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Strappage
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:59:11 -0700
I don't like straps.

You and me both, Joel! I've seen more cameras damaged via straps than via lack of them!

My dad dropped his 600DL on concrete, bending the front enough so it wouldn't focus. ~$250 repair. He thought the strap was through his arm, but it was just around his arm. His IS-3 had the back damaged similarly.

My friend dropped her OM-4 on a sharp object on the floor, breaking out the viewfinder. The camera was on a desk with the strap hanging over the edge, which got caught on her as she walked by.

I put loops of nylon boot-lace through the eyes. I snug them up so I can just get two fingers through. The camera becomes an extension of my hand. I attach a very short 3/4" web with a male buckle fastener, and can then clip the camera to my vest, or (heaven forbid) even a strap.

When I don't want the camera attached to my hand, I take it off and put it in a safe place. I use this boating, rock-climbing, in aircraft, etc. and have never dropped a camera.

I realize lots of people like straps, and manage to use them effectively, but there are alternatives.

--
: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>