Re: Fwd: [OM] What to reccomend: beginners camera?

Subject: Re: Fwd: [OM] What to reccomend: beginners camera?
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <thomas.clausen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:03:34 +0200 (CEST)
Hi Ian et. al.,

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Ian A. Nichols wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:
>
> > One thing I forgot to mention in the original mail was, that the young guy
> > is around 20 years old and is studying to become an engineer. Thus I am
> > not too worried that he may accidentially drop the camera or otherwise
> > damage it.
>
> Oh well, in that case I recommend the 2s(p).  Might as well get him used
> to the idea of spot metering early on.

Well, I would if the OM2s/p's were easy to dig up in a good shape. I have
two myself, one bought new when they came out and one bought in mint
condition from a list member (Hi Giles!). And I love them more than any
other OM-body. However being out of production entirely, while still being
fully electronic, makes them more difficult to have repaired. Rumor has
(but someone please correct me) that most repairs are made up from simply
replacing the electronic circuits...and with not many electronic circuits
available, well......

That was the reason why I didn't include the OM2s/p in my initial
thoughts.

(Yeah, I would love it if Olympus would make an OM6s/p, which was an
updated & bug-fixed version of the 2s/p - I'd probably buy a dozen or so
of them. IMHO they're significantly nicer than the OM3/4...but that is a
different issue which we can discuss elsewhere)

> Given what you said about having
> to periodically look at the shutter speed dial (I still have to do that
> myself more than I like),

Someone said something about recognizing the position of the "ears" of the
shutter-speed ring. That is so true - just pratice (8-10 films a week for
a few years is usually enough). But it would be one missing feature of the
OM2s/p that it doesn't show the shutter speed in the viewfinder, I agree.

> and if spot metering is not considered that important,

I'd go as far as saying that 900f the pics I take using the OM-gear is
taken with OM2s/p's in manual mode with spot-metering....mostly because it
has spot metring. Yeah, it is important, but I am afraid that within the
price-range he can afford, only the OM2000 has spot-metering (om3 & 4 are
out of the question - as I said: he's a student). I am not too sure that I
want to suggest the OM2000...I have heard mostly bad things about it on
the list and from Olympus representatives.

--thomas