Re: [OM] Fw: Cossina cranks out a retro-range finder camera, why Olympus

Subject: Re: [OM] Fw: Cossina cranks out a retro-range finder camera, why Olympus
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:51:21 EDT

>>Cossina cranks out a retro-range finder camera, why Olympus doesn't
take
>>advantage of re-introducing some of the older OM cameras and lenses
seizes
>>to amaze me.

Olympus has produced occasional retro cameras, like the "O" product,
etc.

>>Why Olympus ignores it's strong following of loyal users amazes me,
I'll
>>give them credit, they did come out with the OM-2000, but come on!,
Can
>>Olympus executives be that stubborn?  The proof is in the
pudding......

I'm not sure that there really *is* a strong following for the OM line.
The sales clerks make fun of people like me when I inquire about OM
gear, there is very little used stuff in the glass cases, and no new OM
gear at all in any store locally. Olympus is making money hand over
fist in the P&S market and I assume in the digital market, but I doubt
that they make any money at all on the OM line. I think that the OM
line is more popular in Europe than here in the States, but I have no
direct experience to verify that.

The pros have been seduced by the AF demons and thus left the OM line
in a hurry. I assume AF has either made their jobs easier or having the
big fancy gear has made it easier for them to get jobs in the first
place. May be size *does* matter?

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright