Re: [OM] First foray into the field with OM-PC

Subject: Re: [OM] First foray into the field with OM-PC
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:47:28 PDT
Thomas humbly replies:
Ok, I am no Lex or Gary...

Ah, but you are the very best Thomas as only you can be.  ;)

And I agree with your advice to try b&w. Even the C41 process stuff like Kodak B&W+ and Ilford XP2 is terrific.

but the "top three points" for peons like me
would be:

1: Go simple - one body, one lens, one filmtype. The purpose is to learn
   what your gear can - and can not - do. (Knowing in particular what it
   can not do will help you identify which extra gear you will need to
   acquire). You will find it amazing how much a 50/f1.8 can really be
   used for.

Ditto. Absolutely. I had nothing but a normal lens for whatever camera I was using, even through photography school, until I was in my twenties, by which time I'd been taking photographs pretty seriously for more than 12 years in 35mm, MF and even a bit of LF.

Consider that many photographers working with medium and large format cameras use the equivalent normal lens extensively or exclusively. We 35mm SLR buffs are kinda spoiled, isn't we?

I'd also be upset if I saw you spend good
money on nice photo-gear, and you just sat in front of the computer rather
than be out there taking pictures... ;)

--thomas

I can't think of a thing to add to Thomas' suggestions, including the bit with the wifey.
---
Lex