RE: [OM] Re: Strappage

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Strappage
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:24:09 PDT
From: "Dave Bulger" <david_bulger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Zuiks,

There's something that I'm just not getting - a common occurrence in that
I'm not too bright...

WHY are there so many cameras in the world with minor to major brassing
around the strap lugs when the ability to prevent this comes with every
strap?  I'm talking about the little leather pad that is strung on the lug
ring of the strap -- properly installed, this little guy is wonderful at
preventing the metal-to-metal contact between the strap ring and the camera,
therefore preventing brassing.

Best I can tell, Dave, it's because too many folks use the straps with metal clips that were designed for use with gadget bags. Those metal hooks with spring retainers are excellent finish removers.

I use hard nylon or Zytel clips (from military surplus stores - they seem tougher than ordinary plastic clips) for some cameras, but even then they're hooked to loops of paracord that goes through the body's strap lugs. Little chance for hard surface to hard surface contact.

---
Lex