Re: [OM] Shifty trix

Subject: Re: [OM] Shifty trix
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:30:47 PDT
Sure, John, I guess I could have been more specific.

If you don't have a Cokin filter system just try this:

Cut a square of flat black construction paper large enough to cover the front of your wide angle lens (or normal lens, doesn't matter), with a couple of inches margin on all sides - 6"x6" ought to do it. (Fastening the black paper to another sheet of paper to stiffen it helps - just use a glue stick, this isn't critical.)

Poke a hole through the middle with a thumb tack. Size doesn't matter much but smoothness does.

Mount the camera on a tripod to make this easier. Put a UV filter over the lens so you don't fingerprint it. Works best on tall objects so aim outside at a building or take the camera outside and use your house.

First, aim the camera roughly level. Place the black paper over the front of the lens with the pinhole centered. Slowly shift the pinhole around and observe the effect on perspective. You won't see a very dramatic effect at this point.

Now tilt the camera upward and repeat. This time you'll begin to see more dramatic effects on perspective changes. Same if you tilt the camera downward.

If the light's too dim through the pinhole feel free to enlarge it 'til it's comfortable. Anything up to the equivalent of roughly f/16 retains the shift effect pretty well.

All the Cokin filter system does is give you a handy bracket which holds the paper filter for you. In fact, Cokin makes a doodad that looks like their plastic lens cap, only it has a long slot in it. I'm not sure what the intended use was, but by taping over most of the slot and leaving just a pinhole, it accomplishes the same effect as the paper cutout version.

One of these days I'm gonna actually try some photos with this. So far I've just played with it or used it to demonstrate perspective shift to other folks.
---
Lex
Visit "Vistas Tejas" at http://www.photoscene.com

Lex Jenkins wrote:

>The current thread discussing Zuiko shift lenses reminds me of a cheap
trick
>I learned, either in photo class or elsewhere, and was reminded of after
>visiting the Zoerk site.

>You can approximate the shift effect by using a lens cap with a pinhole.
>Naturally, the lens cap must be capable of moving up and down so the Cokin
>system filter bracket and cap is ideal.

>So far I've only played with this little doodad for viewing the effect and
>haven't actually taken any photos so I have no idea how useful it would
be.

Lex you've caught my attention on this one. I doubt I would ever buy or
rent a shift lens, but this ultra cheap alternative sounds intriguing. Is
there anyway you could provide additional details? TIA