Re: [OM] First foray into the field with OM-PC

Subject: Re: [OM] First foray into the field with OM-PC
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:42:11 +0000
William,

What type of photographs do *you* like.  Then study, practice and learn how
to create them.  Interests change over time and that's natural.  To some
extent that will dictate what general types of film you will be looking for
(slow vs fast, B/W vs color, negative vs reversal).  For film, try one
short roll each of various brands and types, then select one of them that
you think suits you and the subject material you are shooting.  Then use
*that* film exclusively for a while before trying another.  I suggest doing
this with 4-5 different films. The three big names are Agfa, Fuji and Kodak
with Ilford a fourth that runs very strong in B/W.  The object is to learn
some different films and what they can do for you.  You will eventually
settle on some preferences.  Asking which film is "best" will get a
googolplex of different answers.  The "best" film is what gives *you* the
image you visualized when you took the photograph.  That can only be found
by using some to see what it does.

Same applies to lenses.  If you have not worked much before with a 50mm use
it exclusively for a time.  Then bolt on the zoom and use it for a while
only at the 70mm or 100mm setting, and then only at the 135mm or 150mm
setting.  The idea is to learn how to use lenses of different focal lengths
and how to "see" a photograph.  With a standard this is not as difficult as
with a wide or telephoto.  Since you have plenty of length, consider a wide
such as a 35mm or 28mm as the third lens, then do the same with it.  Then,
after that, try shooting the same scenes wide, standard and telephoto.
This practices at finding photographs within photographs and teaches how an
image of the same scene can be dramatically different.  You can also do the
same with finding an image both vertically and horizontally.

On keeping notes:  These are important when trying something new and
wanting to compare what you did with what you get.  I used to try to write
things down, but this can be cumbersome, especially if pressed for time.
Then I scooped up my wife's micro-cassette recorder and kept verbal notes
on it.  Fits in a pocket, stuffs easily in a camera bag, and you can
transcribe it later if you wish.

As to dodging domestic projectiles, one of the suggestions to me for easing
the hardware acquisition might work for you also.  Try doing some of your
photographs of things you other half likes and present them to her.  You
might have to guess at it some.

And remember . . . photography is all about light.  It is the art of
painting a piece of film with it.  It's *not reality*, but a your vision
for what light reflected from a piece of reality at a specific time and
place can produce on a piece of film.

-- John

At 09:47 6/23/00 , William Duprey wrote:
>OK Lympus Lusters...
[snip]