Re: [OM] Fw: Cossina cranks out a retro-range finder camera, why Olympus

Subject: Re: [OM] Fw: Cossina cranks out a retro-range finder camera, why Olympus
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 13:50:01 +1000
Dirk Wright wrote

> The sales clerks make fun of people like me when I inquire about OM
> gear,

You must be going to one of those high-volume places that sell
entry-level Minoltas with 28-200 zooms. Of *course* they don't
want you around making all the other customers feel inadequate.

Where I go, the attitude to OM varies from worship to
quiet respect tinged with mourning. As most good camera shops
have a selection of used equipment of a dozen brands or more
in half a dozen formats they're pretty unlikely to look down
their noses at quality equipment of any brand or age.

*Never* seek approval from a salesperson.

> there is very little used stuff in the glass cases,

Mainly because it's snapped up so quickly, especially the rare
stuff.

> and no new OM gear at all in any store locally.

You can't blame them. Try asking to handle other low-volume high-quality
stuff like the most expensive Minolta bodies and lenses - I bet it's
"not in stock."

> The pros have been seduced by the AF demons and thus left the OM line
> in a hurry.

You don't think it might have been the 1/60 flash synch and the holes
in the lens line that they couldn't put up with?