Re: [OM] Trade half of my equipment for one lens??

Subject: Re: [OM] Trade half of my equipment for one lens??
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 17:17:23 +0200
On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 03:55:46PM -0700, Olaf Greve wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >at the moment I`m in a hard zuikoholic decission, and would like to know
> >what you think about it:
>
> I almost fell from my chair in amazement...:

> Good grief!!!!
> That camera seller has some nerve; of course I'd consider trading the above
> items against a Zuiko shift; a 24mm one that is!
> Seriously, you would be much better off keeping all the above as there are
> some very fine items in there, especially the first three lenses are
> top-notch lenses. If you're really considering going for the shift you might
> want to consider selling some of this stuff on e-bay and then just buying
> the shift rather than making such an unfavourable trade. The 65-200/4 easily
> cathes $200 on e-bay, the 35-105/3.5-4.5 should catch about the same amount
> and the 135/2.8 would probably also be good for some $100-$200, so there you
> go...
>
> I can't believe this guy tries to pull of this stunt; of course he must have
> obtained this lens for about half the price he charges you, and then he
> still makes you put in a lot more in countervalue of gear...
>
> >I`ve payed about DM  2150.-(2550.-with 2/35) for all that equipment. Now
> >I´ve seen that the price for a new 2.8/35 Shift would be 2311.- here in
> >Germnany. So I´m not sure I´d make a good deal.
>
> Well, I certainly do hope you have your answer now...?

First of all thanks to all the answers to my question. Now I´m sure, not to
do the trade. .

> >I already planned to reduce my equipment a bit, but the
> >35~105, or the
> >2.0/35 are two lenses I wanted to keep.
>
> Well, most of the other stuff you mention is very nice too, and owning most
> of it (as well as the 35/2.8 Shift) I can assure you that such lenses tend
> to get a lot more use than the shift.
>
> >What are you thinking about it? Does a Shift equal such a lot of equipment,
>
> NO!
>
> My advice, tell the shop owner he's charging WAY too much and tell him the
> best trade you'll make him is for the 135/2.8, the 65-200/4 and the F280
> (and even that sounds like a lot)...

That was the amout of equipment, I tought it would be fine. This was about,
what I offered
  to trade to him, I`d  I`d even add one more item  for the dealer to get
something to eat .... <g>....
but stopped bargaining before.

Sure he explained me, that his lens is so rare, neraly unpossible to get
anywhere.....,
 but there are masses of all the lenses I`m offering to him on the marked, ....
(But he can´t explain why there is none of them among the 30 OM-lenses in his
shop-window...)

 Well, but I won`t complain too much about this dealer.  Another one told me he
can only offer me
about DM 10.- ( in words: "ten") for my SC Zuiko 2.8/24, which I asked to trade
in for a MC
variant of the same lens (498.- with OM10 -only availabe with this camera!).
-But altough looking fine it was`t in that condition, so I`d really wanted
to change anymore after examin even if he`d give me money.

Since the Olympus price increase of 1995, the used marked of Zuikos is
kind of mad here in Germany. I´m glad I´ve bought most of my equipment before.

Frieder Faig