Re: [OM] Re:minimum carry kits

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:minimum carry kits
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 12:15:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> When I last went out of town on a combined buisness/pleasure trip I carried
  <snipped list of photo-tonnage and account of a PJ shoot with 1 lens>
>  But the more that I use and appreciate the 28/2.8, the less inclined
> I am to immediately assume that I'll need more.

   What's it about ? Creating the images you desire and/or are hired to
get. The magazines do all they can for their advertisers, pumping up
techno lust, and at one time or another, we've all bought it. Worse,
we carry the stuff around, draining our physical energy and ability to
focus. Yet a close review of one's successful images will usually show
that they were done with a few lenses.
   Just ten years ago, pros would carry cases and cases of equipment
on editorial and wildflife jobs. Nowadays, you see the same people
talking about using just 2 bodies and 4 lenses, or less. Part of this
is due to the improvements in zoom technology (look at what Art Wolfe
carries), but many photographers use 3-4 primes only, and they do
so for shooting incredibly complex stories. In the art world, this
minimalism is nothing new, either.
   Remember the stories about Cartier-Bresson getting along with only
a 35-50-90 ? It really can be done.

> I'm still very much learning this craft and would appreciate comments from
> those who've tried this approach and found it lacking.

    Works for me.

                                      *= Doris Fang =*