[OM] Olympus LT Zoom 105

Subject: [OM] Olympus LT Zoom 105
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 14:40:21 -0400
All this talk of traveling light and vacation rigs puts me in mind of a
lady friend who spent a month on some islands off Greece. This gal likes to
travel ultra, ultra light. Her entire vacation kit was carry-on luggage.
When she travels she typically buys clothes and such locally, and delights
in blending with the locals wherever she goes. Her only camera for the
entire month was an Olympus LT Zoom 105. She picked it not knowing anything
about photography, but simply wanting a pocketsized camera that featured
panaramic mode. Perhaps because of her art background, or perhaps because
she's good at 'going native' or perhaps just because she has a keen eye for
things other than the basic tourist shots, her pics are gorgeous. She used
nothing but about 15 rolls of Kodak Gold 200, and 400, yet has many shots
that really make me quite envious.

Since then, she and I have gotten to directly compare the performance of
her LT 105 to my Yashica T4. They each have their niche. For art museums
and other no flash situations, I really like the Yashica, but for a lot of
other things, I've got to concede that the zoom on the LT 105 is much
better than rumored. It is a tradeoff going to such a slow lens, (at the
piggish end the LT 105 is something over f8). I'm also quite amazed that
the panaramic mode works as well as it does. It's not a camera that I'd buy
for myself, but it's not bad for what it is.

Mike Swaim