Re: [OM] What to reccomend: beginners camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] What to reccomend: beginners camera?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 16:24:59 PDT
I humbly opine, re: what is or isn't practical for teaching a beginner:

Recently I mentioned the problems my ma experienced with a Minolta manual focus outfit I'd given her. Beside suffering from gastrogeriopia she couldn't quite remember the relationship between shutter speed and aperture.

So I traded the gear for an iS-2 which she loves. Not only are her photos in focus, but she's grasping the relationship between shutter speed and aperture better now *because of* the automated functions. By merely looking at the generous LCD screen on the back or the LED in the viewfinder she can see the exposure values change as she scans a room or prospective subject.

So the concept is becoming clearer without my nagging. And she's been encouraged to explore the various exposure and mode options available on her own, without having to ask me how they work.

It's changed my opinion about the value of automation for folks who want not only to take good photos, but also learn the hows and whys.
---
Lex