Re: [OM] 39mm lens use

Subject: Re: [OM] 39mm lens use
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 22:55:11 -0400
I have one of the 15/4.5 Super-Heliar lenses that fit on a Leica screw mount or a Leica M via an adapter. I paid $450 w/finder, which was quite a deal for a lens of this FOV. As for light falloff, show me a lens of similar focal length that DOESN'T have this issue. The famed 16mm Zeiss Hologon comes with a special center spot filter to correct its falloff. Stop the Heliar down to f/5.6 or f/8 and it's a real winner. Wide open, it doesn't fare so well.

Being a rangefinder lens, it has a deep rear element so the only way you'd get it to fit on an OM body would be to use it on an OM-1 with the mirror locked up. But I don't know if the flange to film distance of an OM-body + Adapter would allow the lens to focus.

A better alternative would be to buy a Bessa-L body for using the lens. Those bodies don't have any rangefinder, and can be had for about $250 new (see B&H). Look at http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtsys.htm for an overview.

Skip