Re: [OM] Re:minimum carry kits

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:minimum carry kits
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 22:20:16 PDT
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>

So all you folks that think 28mm is already a medium telephoto, why do you like your super-wides so much?

LOL!  That's priceless, Peter.

Since I'm not yet priveleged to actually own a true WA wider than my 28mm medium teles, I can only say I've encountered enough situations where I needed a bit more (or is it less?).

For example, I picked up one of those fisheye adaptors (generally sold as video gadgets) for 8 bucks at a pawn shop in January, just in time for my youngest grandson's first birthday. While it gives a nearly-true fisheye effect when fastened to the front of a 28mm lens, it works as an 'ordinary' 21mm lens when used on a 50mm. Resolution ain't great, but ain't bad, and where else can you get a 21mm f/1.8 (or thereabouts, assuming a little bit of light loss) for 8 bucks?

It was terrific for getting a roomful of people into the shots. And, as it turns out, fortuitous in a way because my son-in-law's maternal grandmother was present and died a few months later - so my photos were the last taken with her in them. Had I not been using this rig I might not have caught her in any of the photos, because I was concentrating on the kids.

And, as at least one other listite has mentioned recently, with a really WA lens it's easier to catch shy folk candidly, looking more natural and at ease, because it isn't necessary to aim directly at them.
---
Lex