[OM] Trade half of my equipment for one lens??

Subject: [OM] Trade half of my equipment for one lens??
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 01:27:15 PDT
Cc: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

First of all thanks to all the answers to my question. Now I´m sure, not to do the trade.

You're welcome! I'm glad you decided against that trade!!! :)

My advice, tell the shop owner he's charging WAY too much and tell him the best trade you'll make him is for the 135/2.8, the 65-200/4 and the F280 (and even that sounds like a lot)...

That was the amout of equipment, I tought it would be fine. This was about, what I offered to trade to him,

Yes, that sounds more like a fair trade. Personally though, I'd prefer to have these three items over having a 35/2.8 shift, but as you indicated that you wanted to reduce your kit and that you don't use these items a lot, such a trade might make sense.

Sure he explained me, that his lens is so rare, neraly unpossible to get anywhere....., but there are masses of all the lenses I`m offering to him on the marked, ....

Bollocks!!!
Sure, the 35/2.8 Shift is not that often found, but it's not _that_ rare either. It's the 24/3.5 Shift that is the rare one, for that one the suggested trade would be considerable.

(But he can´t explain why there is none of them among the 30 OM-lenses in his shop-window...) Well, but I won`t complain too much about this dealer. Another one told me he can only offer me about DM 10.- ( in words: "ten") for my SC Zuiko 2.8/24, which I asked to trade in for a MC variant of the same lens (498.- with OM10 -only availabe with this camera!).

That's another laugh!!!
I can't believe that these dealers at times (think they can) get away with crap like this. Offer 10 marks (i.e. $5) for a 24/2.8, that's ridiculous, as this is (even as an SC version) a $200 lens! In other words: if you want to get this MC lens; just buy the one at the shop (the price isn't bad at all), and sell the SC one and the OM-10 on e-bay, and you should more or less break even...

-But altough looking fine it was`t in that condition, so I`d really wanted to change anymore after examin even if he`d give me money.

Right. Besides, I believe the whole SC <-> MC issue is way overrated. Sure, MC will prevent flare a bit better than SC (especially in an ultra wide, such as the 24), but it's not like your pictures will all of a sudden be 10x better or so when you "upgrade" from SC to MC. I must say that my SC 24/2.8 is not my favourite lens, but this is not because it's an SC variant. Flare control typically is fine, except in extreme conditions such as street lanterns being directly in the picture (ahum!), so I wouldn't worry to much about that.

Since the Olympus price increase of 1995, the used marked of Zuikos is
kind of mad here in Germany.

Yes, unfortunatele this seems to be a global issue...:(

I´m glad I´ve bought most of my equipment before.

Well, I wasn't quite so lucky, but I have one word of advise: patience.
I was patient in my lust for a shift lens, and guess what? I got lucky, as Tomoko spotted one (SC) for $199 ! After shipping and customs I had to add another $100 to that (as the value declaration got a bit messed up and the Dutch customs figured it to be absolutely necessary to include the $37 shipping costs in the price too, GRRRR :(((( ), but still, a nice 35/2.8 Shift for $300 is not bad at all. Good deals are out there, you just have to wait a bit. Then again, the price that's being asked for the one that you spotted is fair. $550 is about as good a price you will normally find this lens at. Just make sure to not obtain the lens via such an unfavourable trade...

Cheers!
Olafo